Andy's Game Page
I am what could be described as an "avid" boardgamer. I will play almost any boardgame at least once, and again (and again and again) if I like it (and can find opponents willing to play).
I'm not real fond of wargames, especially "traditional" ones with LOTS of pieces on a side and lots of information packed onto little counters. I also don't play RPGs (Role Playing Games) or CCGs (Collectible Card Games). My current favorites are railroad-type games, especially the 18xx family.
I had so much stuff here I moved it to its own page.
Other Board Games
Besides 18xx, some of my favorite games are
Other games which I like or think are cool but don't get to play often are:
- Civilization. What a broad subject! As a result, there are a multitude of games with approximately the same name, some of which are related to the others.
- Civilizaion, the (basic) board game (available from Avalon Hill)
- Advanced Civilization, an expansion set for the baord game (Avalon Hill)
- Civilization, the computer game - not related to the board game at all (Microprose)
- Advanced Civilization, a computer version of the expanded baord game (Avalon Hill)
- CivNet, a multiplayer version of the Microprose computer game
- TimJim/Prism (especially Outpost and 2038)
- AH History of the World
- AH Merchants of Venus
- Car Wars: the (non-trading) Card Game
- TimJim Suzerain
- 6-Tag Rennen (whatever German for 6-Day Race is)
There are lots of game conventions of various sizes throughout the year and throughout the country. I don't have the time or money to make it to more than a small fraction of them, but the ones I know about are listed here.
- Slug-A-Thon A small game convention in Silicon Valley, usually running in both fall and spring.
- Strategicon runs several very successful cons in LA each year.
- Gateway - either Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend
- GAMEX - whichever weekend Gateway isn't
- Orccon - every President's Day Weekend (February)
- AvalonCon - Avalon Hill runs this each year just north of Baltimore, in August
- Origins - billed as the National Game Convention. I went last summer, when it was in San Jose. No idea where it will be this year.
- TSR runs something in Wisconsin every year, but I don't do RPGs
Game Companies on the Net
General Board Game resources
Other Gaming Resources
Vaguely Game-Related Stuff
[Andy's Home Page]
Author: Andy Lange email: <email@example.com>
Last Updated: Mon, Apr 15, 1996 8:55 PM PST